Thursday, March 30, 2006

José Asunción Silva's MIDNIGHT DREAMS

I read MIDNIGHT DREAMS, and the force impelled me to translate it. Its original can be found in many places, like here.

MIDNIGHT DREAMS
José Asunción Silva

Last night, being alone and nearly asleep,
my dreams from yesteryear, enveloped me completely

Dreams of hope, of glory, of happiness
and felicities that never were quite mine

they approached me in processions, so slow
and of the darken bedroom, in every corner settled

a grave silence descended and filled the entire quarter
and in the clock its pendulum, stopped the very moment.

The undecided fragrance of a forgotten smell,
like a phantom appeared, and spoke to me of the past.

faces long ago, absconded, by the tomb
and from the distance voices, heard where? I do no longer know

The dreams came close to me, and they saw me asleep,
and then they took their leave, retreating soundlessly

of the silken threads, tracking none, on the carpet woven
they came undone, into the shadows sinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home